New Natures: Joining Environmental History with Science and Technology Studies brings ideas from Science & Technology Studies into environmental histories. New Natures broadens the dialogue between the disciplines of science and technology studies (STS) and environmental history in hopes of deepening and even transforming understandings of human-nature interactions. The volume presents historical studies that engage with key STS theories, offering models for how these theories can help crystallize central lessons from empirical histories, facilitate comparative analysis, and provide a language for complicated historical phenomena. Overall, the collection exemplifies the fruitfulness of cross-disciplinary thinking.
The volume is co-edited with Finn Arne Jørgensen and Sara B. Pritchard.
Reviews of the book have been published here:
- Environmental History 19 (2014): 575-576.
- Composition Studies 41 (2013): 102-105.
- Technology and Culture 55 (2014): 734-735.
- ICON: Journal of the International Committee for the History of Technology 20 (2014).
- Agricultural History 89 (2015): 486-488.
- Nordic Journal of Science and Technology Studies 3 (2015): 48-49.